Monday, March 29, 2010

Happy Passover

Passover began at sundown tonight!! As a young girl I always dreamed of having a big Passover Seder. Since I have been married, I've had one Seder. Passover has started during the week for a couple of years and it also falls during Easter week, which makes it hard for my family to get together. I know that my brothers aren't Jewish but, it's still important to remember where we came from. My hope is that someday to share our Jewish holidays and traditions with everyone in our family (Walters and Nieman). It's important to take time out for family.

It's important to Tommy and I to have traditions with our kids. So even though it was just the four of us we still had a Seder. It was short and sweet, but we still prayed and had all the yummy food.


I looked through these two books to share stories and traditions with the kids.


I usually start off with gelfite fish, but I am the only one who will eat it, so instead we had herring. Which is what Tommy prefers.


Everyone's favorite Matzoh ball soup. I always like to add some carrot, celery, parsley, and dill. Next year I want to make it from scratch.


This is our Seder plate (I always say I am going to buy one after Passover, but I usually forget.) So every year I compromise by making my own. I actually forgot to pick up the symbols so I had to use what we had around the house.
The egg is the symbol of birth, and it reminds us that on Passover the Jewish nation was born.
Charoset is thick and mushy; just like the cement the Jewish slaves were forced to mix. (It's apples, nuts, cinnamon, and red wine) My little guy's favorite!!
Shank bone (Well I didn't have this so I used a dog bone~Please forgive me) is a reminder of the first Passover celebrated in Egypt.
Parsley and Lettuce is on the plate because Passover is a springtime holiday. At the beginning of the meal the lettuce s dipped into salty water, just like the salty tears of the Jewish slaves.
Bitter herbs is eaten to remind those of the bitterness of slavery. (I used horseradish sauce)



Our Passover table. I used some Easter decorations, but to me they symbolize Spring.






The kiddish cup!! This cup is from our wedding. We use it at Passover for Elijah. Elijah is the miracle maker among the prophets. He visits all the Jewish homes to drink wine from his own cup. This concept freaked the kids out. My little girl was really freaked out when she realized that Elijah came and drank from his glass. It was placed right next to her. She was also a little upset because she wanted to talk to him and show him some pictures. My little guy thought that there was a man in his cup that he could talk to. I have to say this was the highlight of my day.

Hope you enjoyed my Passover story!!

XOXOXOXOXO
Janine






No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails