Thursday, September 8, 2011

Lavender and Lemon Cookies

I hope that you are all building your arks. This rain is really getting to me!! I need the sun!!

With all this rain the kids and I were able to do some baking today.

Over a month ago Ballerina and I were watching Giada. We do this every weekend. It's our tradition. We love Giada. So do the boys in this house!!

Giada made lavender and lemon cookies. Well, Ballerina wanted to make them right away. There was one problem I didn't have most of the ingredients in this recipe. I don't keep things like almond flour, arrowroot, or culinary lavender .

While we were in Maine, Camden to be exact I went into a store that specialized in nothing but lavender. Ballerina and I were in heaven. This household LOVES lavender. While at the store I asked the owner if she had culinary lavender, and she said of course. SCORE!!!! I found one of the three ingredients.


Yesterday, while the kids were in school I had the chance to run into a Natural Food store to pick up some arrowroot and almond flour.


(Good thing cashier put label on this bag. Imagine if I got pulled over by the cops with this bag on the car seat) LOL!!!
They had a small bag of almond flour, I'm talking 8oz for $12. I was able to get the arrowroot.
When I returned to my car I looked up on my phone (while parked) exactly what is almond flour. It's just ground up blanched almonds. It  has to be the consistency of corn meal. I thought to myself since I only need 1/2 cup I will make it myself.

Buy blanched slivered almonds.


Place the almonds into the food processor until it looks like this!!
Ta-da I saved myself A LOT of money by doing this!

Place an oven rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a food processor, pulse together the flours, arrowroot, sugar, lavender, salt and baking soda.



  • 1/2 cup almond flour

  • 2 tablespoons arrowroot

  • 2 tablespoons sugar

  • 1 tablespoon dried lavender

  • 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt

  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda




  • In a food processor, pulse together the flours, arrowroot, sugar, lavender, salt and baking soda.


  • 1 stick unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces, chilled

  • 1 large lemon, zested

  • Add the butter and lemon zest. Pulse until the mixture forms a coarse meal. Add the 2 tbsp of honey and 1 tbsp of lemon juice. Pulse until the mixture forms a soft dough.


     Form the dough into 1-inch round balls and press into discs, about 1 1/2 inches in diameter and 1/4-inch thick.



    Arrange in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Bake until light brown around the edges, 9 to 11 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely, about 15 minutes.

    The cookies are very different!! But they are good!! You can really taste the lavender and lemon!!
    This would be excellent to serve at a tea party!!


    I do grow lavender in my garden but not enough for this recipe. Maybe next year!!
    I think but I'm not 100% sure this might be a vegan cookie. No we are not vegans, we just like to try different things!! I'm gonna have to find some other recipes with lavender!

    Have you tried anything different lately?

    Have a great night!!
    Love,
    Janine

    No comments:

    LinkWithin

    Related Posts with Thumbnails