Friday, January 7, 2011

Crafty Christmas Part 2

Sometime in December I posted  that I felt like the crazy Aunt from "A Christmas Story" who made Ralphie the pink rabbit PJ's. I told you that I would share with you what I made for the sweet little kiddies in our life.
So here is goes....

Last year during the after Christmas sale at Target there was a snowman kit on clearance. The kit was opened and I think some parts were missing. All spring and summer long I thought about this great kit and sometime around Halloween I decided to make the kit for us, our nieces, and cousin.

While making the snowman kit I realized that this is not just a gift for the kids but also for their parents. I am very big on family focused activities so I thought that this would be a great gift for the WHOLE family.



I made the hat and scarf all by myself. The eyes are googly eyes-I didn't realized that they made those eyes that big. Pictured here is an actual carrot but in the kits I made for everyone I made a carrot from felt. The mouth is rocks from the yard. I had the kids paint the rocks. After they painted the rocks I spent two hours recovering my dining room chairs. (Such as life) I added the buttons for some color. I did add a corn cob pipe too, I just need to find mine.

The scarf is made from fleece. A week after I made the scarves Old Navy had their fleece scarves on sale for $1.00. Oh well...I enjoyed making them!!!


I think I need to touch up the mouth!!!

I am so PROUD of the hats I made!! I think for a novice sewer I did a pretty good job.

I packaged the kits in a coffee tin that I painted white and added a snowman face. Of course I forgot to take a picture of that. I will be making one soon for my family!!!

In the package was also a sled, hat and gloves. There was also a little gift for the parents too. (They need to warm up after playing in the snow) I also gave this gift to some other family members.

Hot Chocolate, Wafers, and Homemade Marshmallows.

I have gotten so many compliments about the Hot Chocolate I thought I would share the recipe.



Ingredients:



3 1/2 Cups of Sugar

2 1/4 Cups of Cocoa (I used Hershey's- is there any other chocolate?)

1 Tablespoon of Table Salt



In a large bowl combine all ingredients; Whisk together well.

Funnel into an air tight container - How is that for quick and simple!



For individual hot chocolate servings:

Fill a microwavable mug with one cup of whole milk. Microwave on high for 30 seconds and stir. If needed, microwave at additional 15 second intervals, until desired temperature is reached. Add 2 tablespoons of cocoa mix, stir to dissolve, and top with homemade marshmallows.



For a larger batch of hot chocolate:

Warm the milk in a saucepan over medium-low heat; taking care not to let the milk boil as it warms. Stir in 2 tablespoons of mix for each cup of milk. Top with homemade marshmallows.

I really enjoyed making holiday gifts. I know that it's nice to get gifts and gift cards but I think it's great to get gifts made with LOVE!!!

If you are interested in any of these kits please let me know I would be more then happy to make you one!!!

I can't wait to use our snowman kit!!



Photobucket



I plan to make more marshmallows this coming week so I will make a tutorial for you and then share the recipe!!














No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails