Thursday, August 19, 2010

Last Nights Supper

Yesterday, I told you that I was cooking something good for dinner. I also promised that I would share the recipe with you.

As I was making this YUMMY soup I realized that I was going against my summer rule... NO SOUP!!! But I had to go against my rule because everytime I eat corn this summer I start to think about my Corn Chowder. Alright it's not my corn chowder it's Ina's (Barefoot Contessa). I make this chowder every fall but I couldn't wait any longer. I had to have it. I am glad that I made it because the kiddies LOVED it. Ballerina said that it was her favorite part of the day.






I used corn on the cob but I have made it with frozen corn too. It's a lot of work taking the corn off the cob, but I did it!!!!!

The only thing it was missing was my pumpkin bread. I wasn't going to break the pumpkin bread rule. I don't make pumpkin bread until October and we eat it through Thanksgiving. (Boy, I have ALOT of rules.)


Ingredients
•8 ounces bacon, chopped
•1/4 cup good olive oil
•6 cups chopped yellow onions (4 large onions)
•4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
•1/2 cup flour
•2 teaspoons kosher salt
•1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
•1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
•12 cups chicken stock
•6 cups medium-diced white boiling potatoes, unpeeled (2 pounds)
•10 cups corn kernels, fresh (10 ears) or frozen (3 pounds)
•2 cups half-and-half
•1/2 pound sharp white cheddar cheese, grated
Directions
In a large stockpot over medium-high heat, cook the bacon and olive oil until the bacon is crisp, about 5 minutes. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and reserve. Reduce the heat to medium, add the onions and butter to the fat, and cook for 10 minutes, until the onions are translucent.

Stir in the flour, salt, pepper, and turmeric and cook for 3 minutes. Add the chicken stock and potatoes, bring to a boil, and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes, until the potatoes are tender. If using fresh corn, cut the kernels off the cob and blanch them for 3 minutes in boiling salted water. Drain. (If using frozen corn you can skip this step.) Add the corn to the soup, then add the half-and-half and cheddar. Cook for 5 more minutes, until the cheese is melted. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Serve hot with a garnish of bacon.




Photobucket
Ballerina enjoying her Chowder!!!
Of Course Speed Racer wanted his picture taken too.
I have sooo much soup left!! We are having left overs tonight. Well the kiddies and Tommy are having left overs. I am going to dinner and a movie with my Mommy!! Come back tomorrow to see what we went to see and get my movie review!!!



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails