Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Gardening

Last week I started my lettuce garden. For those who don't know my father built me a table top garden last year that I saw on the Martha Show. (I imagine all the things that I could make if I wasn't afraid to use a saw or if my father lived close by. I know that Tommy can help me but I hate to bother him after he has been working all day and week.)


I started the seeds a little later this year, because I was so busy the two weeks before. I am happy to report that after three days of basking in this wonderful weather we are having they are already sprouting. I am so excited. If there is one thing you should grow it's lettuce. It's super easy and they keep reproducing leaves. They also like cooler weather so I get leaves well into the fall.



Here is the table top garden. You can plant other vegetables and plants, but I prefer to grow my lettuce in the table.

I planted Mesclun because it's healthy and it grows almost like weeds. Think about how much it costs for Mesclun Mix at your grocery store. The seeds cost be $1.47 and I will get several meals with this lettuce.


You may see leaves and pine needles in the soil, that's some of my compost. I also used coffee beans with their filters. All of which gives the soil more nutrients.


The soil I bought from Lowe's. I bought Organic Mix for your vegetable garden. The bag usually costs $7.00. I got it for $3.00. How you may ask....well when a bag is damaged or opened they bag it in a clear bag with the original bag and sell it for over 50% off. It's still the same thing!! I learned that from the Today Show from one of their Garden experts last year.
I think the best time to get these deals is during the week. If you get there by the weekend it's usually gone. I've seen so many good deals like this during the week. I saw a $350 Whirlpool Microwave for $67. I was so tempted to buy it but I was afraid that maybe there was something truly wrong with it. I kick myself every time the kids ask for popcorn!!
I hope that you are enjoying the weather. Also make sure to actually go to my blog from time to time to listen to our favorite music. The music is some of Amelia's favorite dancing music and others are just ones that we like. Enjoy!!
XOXOXOXO
Janine







No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails