Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Am I a Vintage Mom?


Yesterday, I spent the better part of the afternoon wondering if I am doing more harm to Amelia by staying at home to raise the kids.

We were eating lunch and we were talking about going to basketball class. Amelia said that she wanted to have a lady teacher. I explained to her that it could very well be a man. She said "no, mommy man goes to work like Daddy and ladies stay at home to work, like you." I had to think about how to handle this. I said "not all women stay at home to work." I said, "most women go to work like daddy". Then I told her that before I had them I worked everyday and drove into work with Daddy. Amelia again said "Mommy you always worked at home." I could see that this was a losing battle, luckily she moved on to the fact that her yogurt got on her shirt.

I NEVER expected to be a stay at home mom. I always figured that I would work and then come home and take care of the kids and house. Once we found out that we were having twins we really went back and forth trying to decide what to do. We figured that with Tommy's income and me staying at home we would be fine. I would be working to put the kids in daycare and most of our time together would be commuting to and from NJ.

People ask me when am I going back to work? I honestly don't know. I want to be here for the kids, I want to be present in their lives, and I want to know what is going on around them. I know the kids will be going to school soon and I will have free time and I could get a job, but I would really like to have my own business. I don't know what kind, but I do know that I need to be my own boss.

I may be a stay at home mom but I know that I am a true role model to my children because I am not afraid to get my hands dirty, I plunge the toilet, change light bulbs, paint anything I can, and am always looking for new projects, I can even change a tire. I know I am doing something right when my little girl has a hammer in her hands and says "we have to fix this."
So, no I am not doing more harm to my children and if you think I do nothing all day I challenge you to come and spend a whole day with me...if you can keep up!!
XOXOXOXO,
Janine

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails