Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Country Living


My favorite magazine is "Country Living". Some of you maybe surprised, thinking that my favorite magazine would be Martha Stewart's"Living". I do love her magazine too, but "Country Living" is more of my style and more to my budget. In the magazine they always show their books, that I always wanted to get them, but can never seem to find a good deal on it or I can't find it at Border's. Last week I was on Amazon.com looking for a gardening book that came highly recommended (more on that book another time), as I was checking out low and behold "Country Living-Simple Country Wisdom" popped up at a sale price, so it went into my shopping cart. I was so happy to see it in the mail just as the snow was falling. It has 501 Old Fashioned Ideas to Simplify Your Life. I crave to live a simple life.<>div>



In the book the author Susan Waggoner says that "Households that preserve the do it for ourselves tradition seem to be happier, livelier, and more interesting places to be and the people who live there are almost always people I want to know....picking up a crafting hobby like knitting, quilting, or sewing. You'll live a richer, more varied life because of it."

I am a do-it-yourself kind of chic because that is the way I grew up. My father fixes everything inside and outside of the house. He will even try to tinker with the car if it's not too complicated. My mom always made sure we were nicely dressed and well taken care of, and got what we wanted or needed even if we couldn't afford it.
I am lucky to have such great parents and role models in my life. I love them dearly. The one person that I am often compared to and that makes me happier then anything is my Nana.

I remember when I was little and would get to spend the night with her, she would always have her hands in everything. She could be baking something sweet to snack on, then she would be out in the garden, then back into the house to fix something that needed to be fixed, then we would be in her closets playing dress up, then she would be decorating, and then she would be getting the next meal ready. As she was doing this, she would include me in her activities. Nana is now almost 90 years old and she is still like this, but at a slower pass all while looking her best!! Nana is someone that I am very close to, we are very much alike. I am honored when people compare me to her because she is the STRONGEST person I know.

Wow, I was not planning to blog about this, but I guess while I was talking about old fashioned ideas, Nana came to my mind.

Back on track...last nights dinner was so simple and delicious I thought I would share it with you.



Couscous Salad with Roasted Vegetable and Chick Peas
http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/couscous-salad-with-roasted-vegetables-and-chickpeas?backto=true&backtourl=/photogallery/quick-main-course-salad-recipes#slide_12
I just realized I forgot to add the arugula. Oh well!! At least I remembered to feed the kids.

Hope you have a great day. Come back tomorrow to see what projects I've been doing!!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails