Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Cookie Recipe and Valentine's Day Project

I recently made these cookies and thought I would share them with you!!

Ingredients:
1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats

1 cup all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled), plus more for rolling

1/3 cup whole-wheat flour

1/2 teaspoon coarse salt

3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature

1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar

1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1/2 cup chocolate-hazelnut spread or jam

Directions

1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spread oats on a rimmed baking sheet; bake until golden, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl; stir in flours and salt. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter and brown sugar on medium until fluffy. Add vanilla; beat to combine. Scrape down bowl. Add oat mixture; beat until blended. Form dough into a disk, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate until firm, 2 hours.

2.Preheat oven to 325 degrees, with racks in upper and lower thirds. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough 1/8 inch thick, dusting lightly with flour as needed. Cut out cookies with a 2-inch heart-shaped cookie cutter; place 1/2 inch apart on two parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake until cookies are golden around edges, 12 to 15 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through. Let cool 5 minutes, then transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat with remaining dough, chilling if too soft (reroll and cut scraps). Spread filling on flat side of half the cookies; top with remaining cookies. (To store, cover and keep at room temperature, up to 2 days.)


Here are some of my pictures.






So Yummy and with the oatmeal in the recipe it must mean that it's healthy!! Right?

Now for a little Valentine's Day Project.

Several weeks ago I was at Target and noticed this in the Dollar Section...


I thought that this would be a great family project so I bought us each a mail box.

It didn't have a slot for the mail so I made one for myself.

I used my rotary cutter and put a plastic lid in between the card board so I wouldn't cut through to the other piece.


I put out all sorts of embellishments for us to decorate our mailboxes with.

When I told Tommy my plan he had to get his macho attitude on and say that is so corny. But he did it anyway.

Here are the results:


This is mine. I wanted to keep it simple but elegant!!

This is Ballerina's. She had a great time. She was so excited to see that the glue she had all over her box disappeared.

Speed Racer added a heart and thought the heart should have some frnge. He also wrote his name!!

Now, since macho Tommy was resistant to this project at first I thought I would share with you his masterpiece!!!

He added stickers and then drew in the vines. He stamped in some Valentine's Day sayings.

Tommy then made a frame for his daisy and added a picture of man's best friend.

He even decorated the sides of the box. Side 1

Side 2

That'll show him to give me a hard time. LOL!!!!!!!!!

My plan is that everyday in February we will give each other Valentine's. On the 14th we will open our mailboxes and read/look at our Valentines. I decided to do this project hopefully new tradition because Ballerina loves to send letters.

Do you have any traditions for Valentine's Day?


Photobucket


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails