Sunday, February 28, 2010

Planning vs. Sale


In the past I always planned ahead what we were going to have for dinner for the week. That was when it was just Tom and I and we were both commuting to and from NJ. I also planned ahead so I could cook most of the meals on Sunday morning, so when we got home from work I would just have to re-heat the dinner or cook the meal for a few minutes.
Lately I find that I only buy what is on sale for the week. Then each day I cook whatever we have on hand. I enjoy creating things from what I have around the house. Sometimes I forget to pull meat out of the freezer, so then I have to make either something vegetarian or pasta.
For some reason, last Sunday we didn't get a newspaper (probably snow) and I didn't get my Shop Rite circular in the mail either. So I was in trouble. I enjoy looking at the circulars/flyers and picking out what to get. I am a planner!! I enjoy being that way, plus if I have a list it's just easier when I am taking the kids food shopping with me.
So with no circular what was a girl to do? Yes, I could have gone on-line but I like to have the paper in hand. I decided to go back to my old way and plan out the menus for the week. I also wanted to go to Wegman's. So during the kids nap yesterday I went to town looking through my cookbooks picking out the menu for the week and writing down the ingredients I would need.
Here is the menu for the week:
Sunday: Turkey Loaf, mashed potatoes, and green beans
Monday: Couscous salad with roasted vegetables, and chick peas
Tuesday: Chili Chicken Salad lettuce wrap
Wednesday: Brown Rice Bowl with Shrimp, Snow peas, and Avocado
Thursday: Lighter Beef Chili
Friday: Pizza
We always have enough so please feel free to stop by!!
So is it cheaper to plan or shop on sale. Well, when I shop for things on sale I usually spend about $75.00. Yesterday at Wegman's I spent about $100.00. I did buy a few things that only Wegman's has and the quality of food is so much better.
So, for me it pays to shop for what's on sale vs. planning ahead. But when I do go to Wegman's maybe once every six weeks I feel it's ok to spend a little bit more.
We always have enough so please feel free to stop by.
PS I always make cookies for the kids and the cookie for the week is Heart Sandwich Cookies but instead of a heart shape I think we will do butterflies!!
XOXOXO

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails