Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Strawberry Season

Yesterday, the kids and I headed to our annual spot to pick strawberries.
We were suppose to go on Thursday, but I saw how hot it's suppose to be and decided we needed to go right away!!

If you live in North Jersey and want to go strawberry picking I suggest you go here.

Look at those beauties.

Speed Racer looking for the perfect strawberry to pick.

Ballerina loves picking fruit, vegetables, and flowers. She's a chip off the old block!

Showing off their strawberries.

They not only look yummy, they also taste very yummy.

After the picking the kids wanted to go to the playground at the farm. That was fine by me because it was next to the flowers.

Speed Racer riding one of the bikes.

Ballerina climbing up the ladder. She is wearing boots because we have learned after three years of picking food, that even if it hasn't rained the fields are still wet and muddy.

Ballerina peeking through the flowers.

Speed Racer driving the truck.

The kids are wondering what we are going to go with all these strawberries.

We're making jam of course.

But first, we are going to make dessert. I thought we should make something light and refreshing. I came up with angel food cake.

Look at that batter. I will share the recipe at the end.

Speed Racer hulled the strawberries and Ballerina cut them in half.

Look at them go. Ballerina started chopping the strawberries. I think she watches me in the kitchen.

Once the strawberries were in the pot I realized we still had a lot of strawberries left.

I sliced two cups of strawberries and froze them to use this weekend for strawberry rhubarb pie.
Tommy and the kids love this pie!

I cut some up to freeze and throw into smoothies.

The angel food cake turned out great!!

The kids ate their dinner very fast because they knew what they had waiting for dessert.

Are you wondering what the hell is that? It's a angel food cake slicer. It cuts each piece perfectly.

We made seven jars of jam. We are looking forward to having some for lunch today!!

So now I will share my angel food cake recipe. I have tried a handul of times to make this cake and it never turns out right. I think that I have a hard time getting the egg whites to the right consistency.

I know I cheated. But it turned out and that's what is important. I add the zest of a lemon you could probably do orange zest. I also added 1tsp of vanilla extract, and love.

At the end of the day we have about 15 strawberries left. Hopefully next week we will be able to pick up more from our farmer's market. I think that PA strawberries are better!!
 LOL!!!

Photobucket

1 comment:

stephberry said...

oh janine! you crack me up! they're getting...so.. big. wait. am i allowed to say that. oh lord. Love strawberries! tell me when i can look after the kiddos so you guys can go out!! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails